Monday, December 27, 2010

Merry Christmas Everyone!

"The best Christmas of all is the presence of a
happy family all wrapped up with another."

Okay so I know that I'm a little late, but Merry Christmas Everyone! This year my family tried something new & headed up to Pennsylvania to spend time with family. This was the first time ever that I've spent Christmas away from home, and surprisingly, I enjoyed it! :)
We arrived in PA two days before Christmas. It was the first time that I had seen my cousins in about four years. The first day we spent catching up with each other and talking about how we've changed over the years. In addition, I got to play with my two younger cousins who had been babies the last time that I saw them. Then on Christmas day we came and spent the day with each other.
To be honest, at first I felt like I wouldn't have a good time. It was going to be strange spending time away from my family. I wouldn't be able to open my gifts on Christmas (okay so that sounds really childish). But surprisingly, I found that I learned a lot about those things that are important. We spent our time with our family. That night we played the game guesstures & taboo and laughed at my father and uncle who seem to speak their own language. For example, my dad and uncle were talking about the movie This Christmas. My dad said, "Oh that's the movie about the house?" and my uncle said, "Yeah that's it." Lol! Then we watched This Christmas, my absolute favorite Christmas movie. I had been waiting all year to see this movie, but it never actually came on tv. When we got to watch it I was so excited! I had literally been waiting all year for this. :)
And let's not forget about Christmas dinner: We ate turkey, mustard greens, arroz con gandules, pasteles, sweet potatoes, cranberry jelly, and cornbread. It was a true African American/Puerto Rican dinner....and it was truly delicious :)
Today is our last day in PA. My older cousin & I bonded over super mario on the wii. My younger cousins amused me by singing their favorite songs including Like a G6 and Bottoms Up. My cousins who are close in age to me and I watched for Colored Girls and the Dave Chappelle show. And what's a family gathering without a classic WebCam picture?

Merry Christmas Everyone

xoxo,

Jackie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment